Fresh after the release of the very popular Express CD we introduce two highly requested applications, both packaged for One Click Install.
MediaWiki is the industry pioneer for the Wiki platform. Originally developed for Wikipedia, it is now used on tens of thousands of Wiki sites across the web, including our own Amahi Wiki.
Can’t remember when little Johnny’s soccer game is or that LUG meeting? Set yourself an email reminder in this essential app for home and office, WebCalendar. Single or multiuser support, check it out in your HDA just one click!
MediaWiki is a free software wiki package originally written for Wikipedia. It is now used by several other projects of the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation and by many many other wikis.
MediaWiki is free server-based software, designed to be run on a large server farm for a website that gets millions of hits per day. MediaWiki is an extremely powerful, scalable software and a feature-rich wiki implementation, that uses PHP to process and display data stored in its database This version comes customized for Amahi using a SQLite database.
Pages use MediaWiki’s wikitext format, so that users without knowledge of XHTML or CSS can edit them easily.
When a user submits an edit to a page, MediaWiki writes it to the database, but without deleting the previous versions of the page, thus allowing easy reverts in case of vandalism or spamming. MediaWiki can manage image and multimedia files, too, which are stored in the file system. For large wikis with lots of users, MediaWiki supports caching and can be easily coupled with Squid proxy server software.
WebCalendar is a calendar application that can be configured as a single-user calendar, a multi-user calendar for groups of users, or as an event calendar viewable by visitors.
Overview of Features:
- XHTML/CSS compliance
- Multi-user support
- Auto-detect user’s language preference from browser settings
- View calendars by day, week, month or year
- and so much more…..
We’re happy to announce Amahi 5.4 today!
Along with it, we also are happy to announce the Amahi Express CD!
Faster than Superman can rescue Lois Lane, the Express CD downloads and installs in minutes and gets you the most stable Amahi HDA ever.
Too bad you can’t install one AT THE OFFICE
Amahi 5.4 brings top notch stability improvements as well as UI improvements in looks and speed:
- The installed applications show first on the apps tab so that it loads much faster
- The servers tab is no longer an advance setting. It’s directly under Settings now, easy to reach
- The default workgroup is now set to WORKGROUP, for easier interaction with Windows clients
- … and more! See the 5.4 release notes for the details.
Amahi 5.4 should be now on your HDA, automatically updated!
Without further ado (drumroll) we bring you the …
Amahi Express CD
The Express CD is an all-in-one, up-to-date, Amahi CD, for headless install, derived from Fedora 12. It’s the fastest and simplest way to install Amahi by far to date!
- Express: it will automatically WIPE OUT your entire first drive for you (unless you chose the expert option).
- Headless: there is NO desktop after install. This means faster and meaner, no wasted resources on graphics.
- All-in-one: all the packages are included, much less downloading needed.
- Up-to-date: the latest upstream updates from Fedora and from Amahi at the time the CD was pressed are included right in!
The development team got this down to about 400 MB, or about 10 times smaller than the regular install! Download, burn and share with some friends! 😉
Still need a desktop after all of this? We’ve got you covered with the desktop packages after you install.
When you stop by the community channel or the forums please take a minute to thank Solomon (slm4966) and the testers team for the hard work in putting this Express CD together and testing it!
This is expected to be our last release on Fedora 12 and the last in the 5.x series. Can’t wait to see the new goodies in 6.0!
The Amahi Team
Credit iwalk.jp and tharrin @ flickr
File Management, we’ve all been there before … Intuitively you know where everything is but there’s always that one little file, you know the one that you need most whenever it’s the most elusive thing to find. It’s like trying to find your other shoe in your room as a teenager. Your games were under the pile of clothes next to the TV, the printer was on the nightstand that used to hold your Mickey Mouse alarm clock (that you told Mom had broken and you threw away but is still secretly ticking away in your closet, yeah buddy we’ve been there). But this one file is out there somewhere probably hiding with your old tapes of the X Files. Then the next thing you know it hits you…
“I wish there was another way to do this.”
Well hell’s bell’s folks… here’s a couple! You’re thoughts on the alternatives didn’t work out the way you’ve planned so we’ve gone ahead and packaged a few for you to use (yeah we wish there were leprechauns in our machine too).
Read on for more!
PHP Navigator is a web based file manager, written in PHP and AJAX.
With XP style navigation. You will feel you are on your home system!
- User friendly Explorer style navigation and view. Fully customizable.
- Multi user support (need MySQL).
- Advanced AJAX and DOM to avoid reloading of the full page.
- gzip deflate encoding gives you rocket speed data transfer!
- It inherits the colour scheme of your window system. See the magic of css2!
- Thumbnail view for wbmp,jpg,png,gif.
- Right click context menu.
- Built in HTML editor, Code editor.
- Keyboard shortcuts.
- Download folder as zip.
- Extract zip archive to current folder.
- And the BEST OF ALL, it’s FREE!!
eXtplorer is a web-based File Manager.
The Main Features of eXtplorer are:
- Copy/Move Files and Directories by Drag/Drop
- Dynamic Directory Tree with on-demand loading of subdirectories
- Edit Files (with Syntax-Highlighting thanks to EditArea)
- Rename, Delete or Create new Files and Directories
- Access Files through FTP or directly (using PHP) to totally overcome permission and file ownership issues
- Upload or Download files just as you like
- Create and Extract Archives (ZIP, Tar, Tar/GZ, Tar/BZ)
- User Management with different permission levels like “View only” or “Edit” and “Admin”
- Available as a component for Joomla! and Mambo.
- And much much more….
The Amahi Team